Gal 2:20 - I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.
The bible says that I am crucified with Christ, I am dead; that is my natural spirit is dead. It is now Christ living in me; that is His nature or Spirit living in me. This life I possess is no longer my own. Do our lives reflect this reality? Do our words, actions or thoughts reflect our own selfish desires or desires based on the heart of God? If I claim to be crucified with Christ, I no longer have the luxury of perusing personal desires for the sake of selfishness.
This is about giving up the rights, deed papers or whatever you want to call it, to my life! Without Christ, I am as good as dead, no, I am dead. Without Christ, I only had one destiny in life, to spend it for all eternity, separated from God (that is in Hell). Jesus has saved me from that destiny that I had no control over and no ability to save myself from. How can I then claim anything on my life that He has saved? My life has been bought, redeemed, and I no longer have any authority over my life. The one who does is the one who bought my condemned destiny and I am now legally His. Just as a person who bought a condemned building to refurbish is the only one with the legal rights to occupy that building, so Jesus is the only person with the legal right to occupy a life that He has purchased with His death in our place.
Why do we still think we have the rights to our soul? Our egocentric culture places a huge emphasis on individuality and the right of you and me. We do have these rights but without Christ, they are nothing worthwhile because they keep us separated from God. If people chose to maintain their individual rights, they have every right to do this but they must be willing to accept the consequence, a life apart from God here and for eternity.
Once our life is sold, we are legally unable to squat! Why do we insist that we do? We must recognize and respect Christ as the new occupant of our life. He didn't force us to give up the rights; we have to give them over freely. Why then do we hold on? Are we really willing to allow Christ to purchase us unconditionally, the only way He can? Why do we hold on something that is literally worthless and leads us to eternal death? Do we really see value in that human nature that is infested with sin?
If you don't want to give your already condemned life to Christ, then don't! If you do, stop holding onto something that is no longer yours! Let Christ live in us and stop riding shotgun over Him. It is logically illegal and wrong to do so. It will be hard, difficult and with suffering ... but so is life without Jesus. The difference is that He will deliver us from an eternity full of the consequences of human sin!
Just simply let Him live in and through us! He is the one in control, not us!

No comments:
Post a Comment