Sunday, September 9, 2012

50 Shades of ...?

I have recently been unable to ignore the latest crazy on the New York Times Best Sellers List. The '50 Shades' trilogy is currently #1-3. Popular books and music give a great insight into the climate of the current culture within which we live. Our worldviews are often reflected in those things in which we are willing to invest our personal resources such as time and money. With my curiosity aroused, I thought I would check it out to see what all the fuss is and to get a glimpse of what people want to invest into at this time in history.

I don't like to judge a book by its cover so before I invest the time and money to read it, I like to do some research into it. I'd love to hear any contributions any of you might have to this conversation as well, positive or negative. I really want to know what makes these books so popular.


From the reviews posted on Amazon, it seems fair to say that the literary content is not at a high level with over 40% of the 11,848 comments giving only 1 or 2 stars. Many people complained about the immaturity of the author, fantasizing like a young teenage girl. Also the repetitive nature of phrases seemed to be a common objection along with the shallow character development and story line.

If the writing is not that compelling or the story captivating, why is it selling so many books? If almost half of those who bought the book regretting their decision, there must be something driving the other 50+% of the community to buy the book and recommend it to their friends.

The only other thing I can find that might draw people to this book is its marketability as an erotic novel. Although I am not an avid reader of fiction, let alone erotic fiction, there seems to be a higher level of 'naughtiness' associated with this trilogy in the public perception. This is probably for good reason considering the information it seems to communicate. Is it fair to call it pornography? To ask this question another way, if the words of this book were put into a motion picture, word for word, would you call it pornography? It is hard not to answer in the affirmative. I wonder if this series of books has bridged the taboo of written erotica/pornography in publicly acceptable literature (the ‘articles’ in Playboy don’t count). As our western worldview continues towards the complete tolerance of any sexual act or fantasy, has ‘50 Shades’ been released at an opportune time to take advantage of our cultures desensitization towards sex? These books that would have unlikely been read by the average mum or dad a few years ago because of their graphic sexual content are now best sellers! What’s more, you can buy them electronically from your own bedroom rather than having to blush as you hand the money over to the assistant at the bookshop.

Have we just witnessed a compromise and redefinition of what is now acceptable within our communities with regard to publically available sexual content? I am afraid so. What does this mean for other forms of media within our community depicting sexual content? Some might call this liberation and progression but is it really? Our lives consist of boundaries for a reason; to protect us, provide security and to give us guidance. I agree that at times those boundaries can be too constrictive and unhealthy but does that mean it is right to remove all boundaries? This also calls into question who is responsible for the establishing the boundaries and who is responsible for changing them. It seems that the artists of the day are willing to push the boundaries as far as we are willing to pay. We are responsible for any compromise!

Based on my research, I am not going to invest my time or money or subject my mind to the information within these books. Some might say that I cannot really judge a book without reading it but I disagree. You don't need to experience smoking cigarettes to know it is not good for your physical health. In the same way, I don't need to ready every book from cover to cover to know what is healthy and what is not for my mind.

Let us think of a practical application with regard to ’50 Shades’. I realize that there is a ‘warning’ with this book that it is for mature readers but there is no legal enforcement as I understand it. For those of you with young daughters, how would you like your young teenage daughter exposed to this type of fictional pornography? Do you think it would help build her up, giving her a solid realistic foundation for future relationships? Do you think it would build her self-worth and value as a young woman about to embark on adulthood? Or do you think it would corrupt her mind, filling it with unrealistic fantasy (relationally and sexually) and become a burden for her as she enters the next phase or her life? How many of us are thankful for our exposure to pornography when we were a child/teenager now that we have our own wives and children and the time to reflect? How many people are still addicted to pornography even years later from that first exposure? Do those images, either pictorial or written ever fade away? What about any sexual fantasies or escapades people might have experienced with someone other than their spouse before they married? Do people think that now that they are married adults and all ’grown up’ that they are mature enough to fill their minds with this sexual fantasy from outside of their own bedroom? What benefit does it really bring to a marriage relationship? Does it really spice things up as they think of the characters of the book while they are trying to be intimate with their spouse? Any form of pornography is dangerous and is destroying many marriages and lives today.

Is this just a 'flash in the pan' that is here today and gone tomorrow or is this a greater reflection of our current western worldview? I am afraid it is the later. Be discerning friends and call this latest literary crazy for what it is, 50 Shades of Porn!

No comments:

Post a Comment