Over the last few weeks, we have lost 2 friends from this earth.
One of them was an older man in his 80's and the other a young mother of 4 in her 30's.
The elderly man was someone I very much respected. He was a man who worked hard and had the opportunity to have a lot of money and possessions in this world. Instead, out of his generous heart, he chose to give much of his worldly possessions away. He was a man with great faith and was known by many people for his big smile, warm handshake, encouraging words and loving heart. He was a man who ran the race of life and faith until the end of his earthly time. When I think of how much emphasis and self-indulgence is on and in retirement these days (sure we deserve it right?), I think of my older friend who bucked this trend and challenged me to live life for my God until the day I die as he did. How do you plan to live your life until the day you die? Does it revolve around God's will for you or your own personal selfish desires? Well done on finishing the race strong Col. I know he will be rejoicing now with his Saviour and I am sure he will have his eternal prize.
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." 1 Cor 9:24-27.
Our other friend was only in her 30's with a loving husband and 4 beautiful girls. During a season of hope in their lives, her life suddenly ended and left her family and friends in amazement and shock! She was a caring wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend. She lived her love for Jesus out loud! She was always willing to give a hand, even when others would not. Why God allowed her life to end now when there was still so much left for her to experience and share with her husband and children, we do not have an answer for. Thankfully we can rest in the knowledge that she is with her Lord and Saviour now. This does not reduce the pain and heartache nor does it alleviate the need to grieve. We know that Jesus knows our pain and grieves with us when we lose a love one like Christine.
When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. “Where have you laid him?” he asked. “Come and see, Lord,” they replied. Jesus wept. Then the Jews said, “See how he loved him!” John 11:32-36.
What does death mean? Is that the end of life as we know it? How can we be sure? Who should we believe? Is faith just for superficial comfort during this time or is does it give us a real hope?
Those who believe the body is void of a spirit have no proof consolidate such a claim. There is no validity to immediately dismiss the possibility that we have a soul in our physical body. Yes, I agree that death is the end for our physical body but I believe there is sufficient proof to believe that there is life after death for our spirit/soul. The bible of course, speaks of the reality of life after death in numerous passages.
“Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.” Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.” Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?” “Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.” Jon 11:21-27.
For those who claim no authority from the Bible, how do you answer the historical resurrection of Jesus Christ? This is not a biblical phenomenon but a historical reality documented in non-religious books and evident through illustrations of oral tradition. No one doubts the historical accounts of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The problem then becomes how to explain the event. Hallucinations, swoon theory, only a spiritual resurrection, no empty tomb, legend, resuscitation, theft and the list goes on. I believe after much study that the most credible historical explanation was the actual bodily resurrection of Jesus as outlined in the Bible. If Jesus really did rise from the dead, He has power over death and there is no reason to believe that there is no life after death. The bodily resurrection of Jesus also validates His teachings on life after death (as well as salvation and everything else He taught). Do you believe that Jesus actually rose from the dead? Do you believe in life after death? If there is life after death, where is it and what will it involve? Are you ready for it? I challenge you to seek out the truth for yourself in this matter.
God did not plan for death to be a part of His plan for us. After mankind decided we could live life apart from God, the consequence was physical death and eternal separation from God. Thankfully, God made a way through Jesus to reconcile us to Himself. What an amazing gesture from the God of the universe to his enemies and ungrateful creation!
Today, while I write with sadness in my heart for the loss of our 2 friends from this earth, I know that they are still alive in spirit and no longer on this planet. I am joyful because of their acceptance of God’s gift of salvation through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I am confident and have assurance that I know their spirits are now with their personal saviour, Jesus Christ, with whom they will spend the rest of eternity (1 Cor 5:1-10)!
Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Rev 21:1-5

No comments:
Post a Comment